How to Change Data Retention Settings in Google Analytics
Have you updated your Google analytics data retention settings to avoid data loss after the GDPR?
Over the past few weeks, you may have seen some notices from Google about ‘data retention controls’.
Google recently announced changes to the Data Retention settings in Google Analytics. The changes, which affect how Google stores a website’s data, will go into effect on May 25th.
Google has previously stored Google Analytics data indefinitely. With the update, Analytics admins now have the option of keeping data for the following lengths of time:
- 14 months
- 26 months
- 38 months
- 50 months
- Do not automatically expire
While it is still an option to keep data forever, Google is requiring you to manually select that setting.
Follow the steps below to make sure your Google Analytics data doesn’t expire:
1. Login to your Google Analytics account and navigate to the website you want to edit.
2. Click on Admin in the lower left-hand corner of your screen.
3. In the center column, select Tracking Info, then click on Data Retention from the drop-down.
4. Select the length of time you want Google to retain site data for. We recommend selecting the ‘Do not automatically expire’ option.
5. Click save and you’re good to go!